Book Review: The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Genre: Fiction
Ages: 15 and Up
Rating: 9/10

     I picked up a copy of this book without knowing what it was about. I genuinely had no idea what to expect at the outset of the novel, but by the end I found myself fascinated by the complex set of events in the story. A darkly poetic novel, Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray, presents a compelling message regarding sin and redemption. Riddled with paradoxes, satire, allusions, and social commentary, this book has something for all of us to relate to, or learn from, despite the fact that it was written over 100 years ago.
     Unlike my other book reviews, I will refrain from sharing what this novel is about. Personally, I feel as though not knowing any information about this book prior to reading it helped enrich my understanding of the story, while increasing my appreciation of Wilde's writing overall. I hope you all go and pick up a copy of this entrancing and powerful read, as it is a timeless literary classic that I believe we all should be acquainted with.

- The Soup Chef 


Comments

Popular Posts