The Search for Contentment in Poetry and Nature


Back in January I was kindly gifted a small book of poems by Mary Oliver, titled A Thousand Mornings. I had heard of the author and this particular book before, but I can’t say I would have ever taken it upon myself to read it had it not been given to me. I have long been a fan of poetry however, and in an effort to establish liturgies of mindfulness in the new year I would read one of Oliver’s poems, each morning.


The poetry found within A Thousand Mornings certainly exceeded my expectations, and I found Oliver’s words to be the perfect way to begin my day in contemplation and reflection. A Thousand Mornings reminds readers that the world itself has infinite wisdom and beauty to offer. Rather than unravel all the mysteries of existence however, we are called to merely observe and savor, by slowing our hearts and minds to match the rhythms of nature itself. In Oliver’s poetry, life is admittedly complicated, and yet still worthy of being praised and embraced. For all weary souls looking for words of respite, look no further than the spiritual meditations of A Thousand Mornings


Below I’ve shared some of my favorite poems from the book, I hope you may be able to ponder and appreciate them as I did:








Comments

Popular Posts