I, Too by Langston Hughes

As most of you know, Langston Hughes has always been one of my favorite poets. This powerful poem, entitled I, Too was one of three poems that I recited at a regional Poetry Out Loud Competition (along with  A History Without Suffering by E.A. Markham and Often rebuked, yet always back returning by Emily Bronte). I hope you all enjoy this piece as much as I do. Although it is short, it speaks a compelling message of hope.

- The Soup Chef

I, Too
By Langston Hughes

I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.

Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed--

I, too, am America.

Comments

Popular Posts