Poem: Aristocrats: "I Think I Am Becoming A God" by Keith Douglas

Dear Readers,

In September of last year, I came across this poem while browsing the internet. I decided to save it, with the intention of sharing it on Reading Soup later on. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the author of this piece, Keith Douglas was an English poet who fought in the Western Desert campaign during World War II. Although he died during the infamous invasion of Normandy, Douglas was still well known for his war-related poetry and memoirs. This noted, Douglas' experiences in the war largely play into this piece. I hope you all appreciate this poem, and please feel free to share your thoughts. Stay healthy, and keep on reading!

- The Soup Chef

Aristocrats: "I Think I Am Becoming A God"
By Keith Douglas

The noble horse with courage in his eye,
clean in the bone, looks up at a shellburst:
away fly the images of the shires
but he puts the pipe back in his mouth.
Peter was unfortunately killed by an 88;
it took his leg away, he died in the ambulance.
I saw him crawling on the sand, he said
It's most unfair, they've shot my foot off.

How can I live among this gentle
obsolescent breed of heroes, and not weep?
Unicorns, almost,
for they are fading into two legends
in which their stupidity and chivalry
are celebrated. Each, fool and hero, will be an immortal.
These plains were their cricket pitch
and in the mountains the tremendous drop fences
brought down some of the runners. Here then
under the stones and earth they dispose themselves,
I think with their famous unconcern. 
It is not gunfire I hear, but a hunting horn.

Comments

Popular Posts