Book Review: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

Genre: Historical Fiction
Ages: 12 and Up

     Back when I was in eighth grade, I read Mark Twain's The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Perhaps it was because of my age, but I didn't enjoy that book very much. Because of this, when I picked up a copy of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (the follow-up book), I had pretty low expectations. To my pleasant surprise, this book was actually very enjoyable. Twain's usage of satire, irony, and humor throughout kept me entertained, while the events of the plot drew me in to the story and made me feel as though I connected with some of the characters on a deeper level. Needless to say, this book was well worth my time, and I agree with it being labeled as "An American Classic".

About:
     Young Huckleberry Finn has always felt out of place. Whether he was living with his alcoholic father, or the pious old widow in town, Huck could never seem to find a place where he truly belonged. One night, he makes the decision to flee from his problems by running away from home. As he makes his way down the Mississippi River, Huck is joined by a runaway slave named Jim. The two form a strong friendship, and as they continue on their journey they encounter several interesting characters along the way.

Memorable Quote:
"Jim said bees wouldn't sting idiots; but I didn't believe that, because I had tried them lots of times myself, and they wouldn't sting me."

Have you read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn before, or any other books by Mark Twain? If so, tell us what you thought about them right here at Reading Soup! It's always a pleasure to hear your literary thoughts and opinions.
Happy Halloween!

-The Soup Chef

Comments

  1. I think I read this book in 1986 (?) when I was a freshman. It was one of the books I actually liked that year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome to hear! It's amazing to see how the popularity of this book has endured for so long!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts