Book Review: The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart

Genre: Realistic Fiction
Ages: 9 and Up

     I first read this book quite some time ago, but recently while looking through the archives of Reading Soup, I discovered that I had never written a book review for it. Therefore, I decided to reread it so I could finally post one!
     I truly had forgotten just how good this story was, and wish that I had reread it sooner. From the moment I finished the first page I knew it was destined to be a great read. The sequence of events in the story were cleverly plotted and crafted, and though the characters were at times larger-than-life in their wit and actions, they still managed to become close to my heart and I truly wanted them to succeed. Even if you are a not a big fan of reading (because, I'll admit, this book is pretty long), let me be the first to assure you that this is totally worth it and you'll be glad you read it in the end!

About:
     Orphaned since birth, 11-year-old Reynie Muldoon has been seeking an opportunity to prove himself to his peers and others. One day, a rather mysterious add pops up in the local newspaper, asking for, "a gifted child looking for special opportunities".  Reynie is immediately up to the challenge, and manages to pass several rigorous tests, while befriending some other children along the way.
     What Reynie doesn't know is that the tests serve a greater purpose, and that he ultimately will have to embark on a dangerous quest, one in which everything he's ever known and loved gets put at stake. At the end of the day, Reynie will have to learn the importance of teamwork in order to succeed.

     Have you read The Mysterious Benedict Society before, or another book similar to it? If so, please tell us what you thought about it right here at reading Soup or on my Google Plus profile page! Let us know what your favorite part was, who your favorite character was, or if you thought the novel was good or bad overall. It's always a pleasure to hear your literary thoughts and opinions! Have a nice day, and keep on reading!

- The Soup Chef 

Comments

Popular Posts