Book Review: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

Genre: Fantasy
Ages: 10 and Up

                  Typically, I don't read many fantasy books. But I always wanted to read The Hobbit along with the rest of the books in the Lord of the Rings series. (And I'll shamefully admit that I did actually see the movie before reading the book.) Anyway, I didn't really decide to read this book by going to the library and picking it out after going to see the movie. Instead, I saw the movie last December and said to myself, "I'd really like to read this." But of course that got prolonged because I picked up The Maze Runner and Divergent. It wasn't until about three weeks ago that I started on this one. And it was really just because I got assigned to read it for English class.
                 Overall though, I am happy that I had to read The Hobbit, even if it was for school. The reason being was that it gave me the kind of old-fashioned, heroic tale that one does not really find in today's books. The characters in the Hobbit, all had some unique quality in them that could easily be seen just by the characters' way of talking or their actions. So I think one reason I really liked this book was that Tolkien did a very good job at characterization. And another reason why I liked this book so much was just the adventure aspects of it. The characters were constantly on the move, always searching or fighting or just having a good time. All in all, this was a very well-written book, and a classic nonetheless. If you're looking for an adventurous read this summer, The Hobbit is the book for you.

About:
                  Bilbo Baggins is a hobbit who enjoys a rather simple lifestyle in a clean and safe country. But one day a wizard named Gandalf shows up at his front door asking him to join him on an adventure. Hesitantly, Bilbo joins Gandalf and a company of 13 dwarves to go and conquer their lost treasure. Along the way they face trolls, goblins, dragons, and many other dangers. But Bilbo also makes some surprising discoveries, and all the while he begins to learn more about himself.

                  Have you read The Hobbit before, or another book similar to it? If so, tell us what you thought about it right here at Reading Soup or on my Google Plus profile page! Was it good or bad overall? What was your favorite part? Would you recommend it to other readers? It's always a pleasure to hear your opinions about different books! Have a great summer, and keep on reading!

- The Soup Chef

Comments

Popular Posts